The National Agency for Academic Assessment and Accreditation (ANAAA) is an autonomous accrediting body for tertiary education under the Ministry of Education & Culture of Timor-Leste. ANAAA was created by Decree Law No. 21/2010 and Decree Law No. 27/2014 (alteration) with the mission to accredit institutions of higher education through academic assessments and accreditation. ANAAA’s accreditation comprises of Institutional and program accreditation.
The future of a nation is determined by the quality of its people through the quality of the education system. This fact has raised government awareness to establish a quality assurance body responsible for assuring the quality of Higher Education sector. ANAAA was established by the Ministry of Education and Culture as a response to the importance of assuring the quality in Higher Education area in Timor-Leste. As a new, young, and vibrant nation, Timor-Leste is still in the very root of developing its human resource capacity through education; therefore, quality must come along in the same path as educational development.
Building the Nation through Quality Education.
To ensure the quality of Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Timor-Leste and their cycles of studies through assessment and accreditation.
- To oversee the institutional and programmatic accreditation and academic assessment to all the existing HEIs in Timor-Leste.
- To provide recommendations to the Ministry of Education and Culture regarding the assessment of new HEIs applying for ‘Licensure of new institution’.
- To conduct institutional accreditation of licensed HEIs’.
- To conduct program accreditation on identified areas in accredited HEIs.
- To monitor the post-accreditation progress through annual progress reports (APR).
- To monitor HEIs that is kept under probation.
- To monitor the adherence to the national qualifications framework.
- To conduct and participate in the implementation of other scientific assessments including institutions that is part of the national system.
- To collaborate with foreign counterparts in the areas of evaluation and accreditation on their assignments.
- To conduct assessments of the institutions of foreign HEIs as requested.
Structure and Governance:
The permanent structure of ANAAA is composed of entities as follow:
- Governing Board
- Executive Director
- Technical Secretariat
- Administrative Secretariat
Role of each Entity:
- The Governing Board has the competence to perform all acts necessary to pursue the objectives of ANAAA that are not, under this Statute, assigned to other organs having the widest powers of representation and management.
- The Board is composed of 11 executive members:9 members with voting power and 2 members with non-voting power.
- The Executive director is appointed by the Governing Board for a mandate of 3 years and renewable for another period.
- It is the competence of the Executive Director for all presentations and implementation of NAAAA institutional policy.
Technical Secretariat composes of:
- 2 Quality Officers
- 2 Assistants to the Quality Officer
- 1 Information Officer
- 1 Finance Officer
- 1 Coordinator to the Secretariat of Administration and Finance